I don’t mean when did you last listen to the classic track from Depeche Mode’s 1990 album Violator. When did you last sit in complete silence?
We’ve been through a bit of a late summer heatwave recently. For the first time in a while last night we got some rain and some passing storms. I took 20 minutes and lay down with no sound except for the rain outside the open windows. OK so it wasn’t complete silence but it was free of the usual distractions.
As I lay down on the lounge I just let my mind go blank. I honestly can’t remember the last time I did this.
We tend to get so caught up in everything that goes on in our day. For me, a typical weekday looks something like this:
- Wake up, check twitter, read the online news
- Drive to work listening to the radio or a podcast
- Get into the office – check emails, client work, phone calls, meeting, conversations with staff
- Home – family time, dinner, check social media, some TV, and a little reading before falling asleep
I literally do not give myself any quiet time!
Last night I didn’t plan what I was going to think about. I just let my mind wander. I jumped around a few big questions and thoughts (and some not so big!):
- How happy am I right now and what should I be doing differently?
- Is this rain going to stop so I can ride in the morning?
- How can I make a more meaningful contribution?
It sounds dumb to say how much value I got out of time alone with my thoughts. But in this world full of distractions – when was the last time you enjoyed the silence?